Cleaning Schedule Architecture: Building One that Works for You

Having a clean house is refreshing and pleasant. Unfortunately, getting to a clean house can sometimes be taxing and unpleasant.

Building a Cleaning Schedule that Works for You

Cleaning schedules can streamline housecleaning and help you keep up with various tasks. I absolutely love lists and schedules, so soon after I got married I began looking for a suitable cleaning schedule. Though I found numerous schedules, none of them worked for me.

As is true with most routines and schedules, one size does not fit all. Thus, I developed my own schedule—one that suits the context of my life. If you haven’t found a cleaning schedule that works for you or you haven’t considered having one, the following may be of help.

Questions to ask when making a cleaning schedule

• Do I prefer cleaning in frequent, short segments or in infrequent, long segments? If you prefer the former, you may want to design a schedule that assigns just a few cleaning tasks to each day of the week. If you prefer the latter, you may favor a schedule that assigns all of your cleaning to just one or two days of each week.
  • How consistent is my schedule? If you have a consistent schedule it may make sense to have particular tasks assigned to each day of the week. However, if your schedule isn’t consistent, it may be better to have a rotating schedule that dictates the order in which you complete cleaning tasks without dictating the specific days on which you complete them.
  • How often does each cleaning task need completed? Some things require more frequent cleaning than others. For example, your bathrooms may need to be cleaned more frequently than your home office. You’ll want to consider which tasks require more frequent cleaning so you can accommodate this in your schedule.
  • Do I want to take care of deep cleaning tasks once a year or throughout the year? If you don’t want to set aside all of your deep cleaning tasks for a concentrated period of cleaning (i.e., spring cleaning), you’ll want to determine how to integrate these tasks into your regular schedule.

How I created my cleaning schedule

I used my answers to the above questions to develop a cleaning schedule that works for me.

• I prefer cleaning in frequent, short segments, so I’ve scheduled my cleaning tasks in such a way that I only spend about 30 minutes each day cleaning.
  • Occasionally things come up (e.g., a medical appointment, errands, delays while grocery shopping) that encroach upon the time I have available to clean. Because of this, I haven’t strictly assigned cleaning tasks to specific days—I don’t want to get “off schedule” when I have a busy day and don’t get around to cleaning. Consequently, I’ve developed a revolving schedule that isn’t tied to specific days.
  • I’ve determined which rooms require frequent cleaning (in my house these are the bathrooms and kitchen) and I’ve designed my schedule accordingly.
  • I prefer to take care of “spring cleaning” tasks throughout the year, so I’ve created a separate schedule for these.

Here’s the schedule I developed for my everyday cleaning tasks:

Rotating Daily Cleaning Schedule | When it comes to cleaning schedules, one size does not fit all. Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you develop a schedule that works for you.

(You can see a printable version of the schedule by clicking on the above image.)

Here’s the schedule I developed for deep cleaning tasks:

Monthly Deep Cleaning Schedule | When it comes to cleaning schedules, one size does not fit all. Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you develop a schedule that works for you.

What helpful tips can you share from your experience? Do you have a cleaning schedule? If so, do you stick with it? What features make it useful?

2015 Update: I’m so pleased that others have found this schedule to be so helpful. In order to make it easier for you to customize this schedule to your needs, I’ve made editable versions available here:

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the files or if you have questions. I still welcome your comments on how you’ve customized the schedule or how it is helping you.

2016 Update: I’ve moved and my family has grown, so I’ve made some revisions to my schedules. Click here to see these revisions and to see some examples of customized versions shared by readers like you!

Shared on the following link-ups:

Empty Your Archive, Living Well Wednesday, Thrive @ Home, Hearts for Home, Wise Woman, Works for Me Wednesday, Titus 2 Tuesday, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Teach Me Tuesday, Titus 2sday, Making Your Home Sing & Living Proverbs 31.

Comments

1. Stephanie says:

I’m so excited to use this. I have always been turned of from “schedules” b/c I feel like I would be an anxious mess if “life happened” and I wasn’t able to get to it and got behind. This is wonderful! Like others, is there anyway you can send the template so I can adjust a couple of things to suit my home best? Much appreciated! Thank you.

2. Hi

Love this! Is it possible that you could email me an editable copy, I can’t wait to start using it. Thankyou so much!

3. Hello,

Thanks so much for sharing! I would really like to give this method a try. Can you please send me editable copies of your cleaning charts? Thanks again

4. stephanie says:

Please send me some charts I’m trying to get my house on track and life plus raising 4 kids by my self I could use all the advice and help

5. Hello Shannon,

thank you so much for sharing your cleaning schedule. I would really like to try it. Please send me an editable version.

Thank you!

6. Hi,
    I love this and I’m so glad I found this post, please can you send me a printable version for both schedules? Thanks

7. Sorry I meant a version I can edit, thanks

8. Love this idea! Could you please send me editable versions of the day by day and monthly schedules?
    Thanks so much!

9. Elizabeth Smith says:

This idea is amazing! Why have I never thought of this before?!?! It solves my worries of getting off schedule when my schedule is ever changing! Thank you for the idea! I also would love an editable version of your charts! Thank you so much for making theses resources available!

• It’s amazing what a difference a rotating schedule can make! I wish I had thought of it sooner. I’ll get you copies today.

10. Jennifer says:

If you have editable copies, I would love it if you would be willing to email them to me. These are great!

11. I love this! I think its the best break down I have found. There are def a few changes for me though. Could you send me an editable version?

12. This is great, I think my search is over. May I have an editable version please.

13. Hi! Cool cleaning routine chart. It really goes on cycle and maintenance is the key. It would be awesome if you can edit according to your set up. Would you be so kind to share (email) an editable version? Thank you very much!

14. I would also love an editable version of both of these charts. I just bought my first home, and I have a hard time keeping things clean and organized. I want to keep on top of everything this time.

15. Ms. Goody says:

Your layout of cleaning tasks makes so much sense! I wish I’d have had the forsight to think of this years ago.

If you are willing, I would appreciate receiving editable copies of both of your schedules. Thank you for your willingness to help others.

• Shannon says:

It is my pleasure to share this! It’s made a huge difference in my life and I hope it does the same for you. 🙂
      I’ll send you copies now.

16. Christine says:

Hi! I, too, would love an editable version of this! Please! Thank you!

17. Hi there!

I’d love to have the editable versions of your schedules. Looking forward to implementing this into my home!

18. Can I please have editable versions emails to me? I appreciate this so much – thank you!

19. May I please have an editable copy of this monthly cleaning chart and possibly a weekly if you have one? I love your idea and just want to tweak a few things to fit our family. Thank you so much for your posts!

20. Beth Forehand says:

These schedules are fabulous. At last, a method I think will work for me. Could you please send me editable versions. Would so appreciate it.

21. I love this! You rock! Please send me the template so I can create my own…thank-you!

22. I absolutely LOVE this idea! Could you please send me an editable version?

23. This schedule idea is brilliant! Is there a way I could get a copy of the templates? Thanks for sharing your ideas. I can’t wait to read more of your blog. 🙂

24. This is amazing!!!!
    Can you email me a editable template for the squares and deep cleaning?? I really love this style. :))

25. Wow! Wonderful Cleaning Schedule/Routine; makes cleaning manageable. I would love to try this out. May I please have the editable version for both the everyday and deep cleaning tasks?

26. I am a new mom to a 2 week old. I think this schedule will really keep me on track. Can you send me editable versions? Thank you so much!

• Shannon says:

Hi Wendi,
      Congratulations!
      I will try to get you editable copies later today. This schedule helped me a lot after my daughter was born. Without it, the house would have been an absolute disaster for months!
      Take it easy these first weeks, though. Take time to recover and enjoy your little one. The cleaning won’t go anywhere. It’ll be waiting once you’ve recovered and have had lots of time to snuggle with the baby.

27. I love this idea. Is there an editable version? I am a working mom of 2 teens and a tween. It seems we hardly have time to clean at all as I’m running from activity to activity, but your version seems really doable! I tend to over schedule and then feel overwhelmed.

28. MariAnne says:

Thank you for these charts! I always found other schedules overwhelming and unattainable, but this is broken down into manageable days!
    I wrote each task on index cards labeled daily, weekly, monthly, and I added a few of my own. Now each child receives a few chore cards for the day & our goal is progress, not perfection. The children all have their assignments and it’s up to them to complete their tasks in a timely manner.
    This system has lead to zero disputes, which has lead to a more peaceful, organized home without very much hassle! Blessings to you! 🙂

• Shannon says:

Hi MariAnne,
      Wow! I love how you customized this idea. It sounds like a great alternative to a traditional chore chart. I’m so glad this simple idea has helped bring peace and organization to your home.
      I think many of us could benefit from applying this idea of “progress, not perfection” to various aspects of our lives. I know I can!

29. Ana Izquierdo says:

Hi Shannon, would it be possible for you to send me the editable copy for your daily cleaning schedule? I really like it and I’m sure it’ll help me keep a clean and happy home!

30. could I please get editable copies too?!
    thanks.

31. can you send me a blank copy of this? Thanks so much, excited to try this out!

32. Lorraine says:

I have looked at dozens of cleaning schedules and this is by far the best.
    I am surprised at how little time is needed each day to keep the house looking clean and tidy. There are just a few things on this list that I don’t do anymore and that is baking and mending so it would be nice to be able to edit your schedule. So if you could send me
    the editable version that would be great. Thank you.

• Shannon says:

Hi Lorraine,
      Yes, it does take just a little time. I wish I would have thought of this years before I did!
      I’ll send you editable copies today.

33. jennifer says:

hi could you send me the version i can edit i am a mom to 4 girls and i suffer from axiety and depression your version is very nice and maybe i can stick with it and get my house cleaned

34. Hello
    This is a great chart can you send me an editable copy.

Thanks

35. Cynthia Moss says:

Finally a schedule I might be able to follow. May I also get copies of the editable form? Thanks so much
    Cindy

36. Christy Campbell says:

Hi, I found your blog through Pinterest. I absolutely love this idea for scheduling cleaning. I have tried the room/day approach (like Bathrooms on Tuesdays, etc.) but I find myself feeling frustrated when I get off the schedule when something interrupts my day. This makes much more sense to me. Can I have a copy of the editable form? Thank you so much for your time and for sharing!

37. Hi Shannon,

I’d love to have an editable copy of ‘what to clean today’ to personalize.

38. This is EXACTLY what I need!!!! My schedule is so unpredictable, so assigning a day of the week to a specific task was completely sabotaging my house cleaning, because inevitable I would be busy on 3 “vacuum Monday’s” in a row, and the floors would get unbearable or I would be staying up until 3 am to catch up on missed days of cleaning! I would also need to add laundry to the rotation, just so that I could have the satisfaction of crossing it off:-/. Could you please send me a editable list? This is going to undoubtedly save my sanity, and free me to be the restful wife, mother, and hostess that God has intended me to be! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Hopefully this will solve your problem, Crystal. I wish I could assign laundry to just one day…we use cloth diapers, so I’m doing laundry most days of the week. 🙂 Regardless, I like to cross things off when they are completed, too.
      I’ll get you an editable copy right away.

39. Megan Gorg says:

Hi Shannon! This concept is brilliant! I could never stick to the same schedule each week, so I just gave up! This is so smart! I hate to ask, but when you have a minute, I would love an editable version too!! I’ve pinned your post and have been sharing it around. Love it!

40. I love your charts, would you mind d sending me both charts editable versions? Thank you!

41. Brilliant! Could you send me an editable version of both charts? I would love to try this method out. Thanks.

42. Sara Taylor says:

This is amazing – would you be willing to send editable copies of both charts? I think this will really help me with my crazy work schedule and family. 🙂

43. Hi Shannon,

I love both your daily rotation and deep cleaning schedules, and would love to have copies of both to edit. Maybe customizing my own schedules will finally help me get my cleaning act together!

Thanks so much for sharing!

44. This sounds like it would be perfect for me! I have a job that requires some long days and it’s very unpredictable. Could I have an editable version of both schedules sent to me? I could use this life saver.

45. Peter T Nanscawen says:

Hi Shannon. I am a single dad.
    This is priceless.

Can you please send me populated copies that I can also edit.
    Thanks for sharing this with us all,

PTN
    Aus

46. Hi! Can you please send me an editable version as well?

47. Hi Shannon, Can you please send me a copy of both of your cleaning schedules? I can’t wait to get started!

48. i love this idea! Would you mind sending me an editable one as well? As a full time working mother I’ve found it difficult with keeping everything clean and organized. Thank you!

49. can I please have an editable version of this as well

50. This looks so easy to follow and stay on top of all the cleaning with two little ones running around. Could I please get an editable version.

If this is your first time commenting or if something in your text triggers a spam filter, then your comment will be held for moderation and will not be visible immediately. It will be visible as soon as I am able to approve it. Thanks for joining in the conversation!